The approach of this working group is to bring the terminal managers together for the exchange of information and ideas and “common learning” on the respective “good practices” on terminal management, increase of capacity and improving the interaction with intermodal operators, railway undertakings and other intermodal actors.
Further objectives mainly directed to the „inside“ are:
- Definition of the legal status of intermodal terminals within the infrastructure as well as the whole supply chain.
- Development of a standardized set of key performance indicators (KPI‘s) as well as neutral evaluation of the defined KPI’s with the members involved in the survey.
- Exchange of information on innovations in Terminal Management Systems and technical equipment.
- Definition of technical standards of terminal related equipment.
- Exchange views on personnel‐related subjects e.g. selection of employees, qualification of staff, training and education.
- Establishment and maintaining of business relationships between terminal operators (networking).
Considering the focus to the “outside” the working group intends
- to form a common opinion on specific subjects and their external presentation, e.g. in form of position papers or presentations;
- to raise awareness on the importance of terminals in intermodal supply chains and to promote this position to other involved parties;
- to improve the availability of market relevant information and the transparency and accessibility of combined transport terminal services for third parties;
- to encourage initiatives in the interest of intermodal operators, e.g. implementation of the “ILU‐Code” (EN 13044);
- to improve the needs of terminals with respect to data exchange with partners and customers by using uniform electronic interfaces (harmonization);
- to improve the networking of intermodal operators;
- to operate a joint internet platform for intermodal terminals (www.intermodalterminals.eu).